Small Stakes No-Limit Hold’em is the highly-anticipated second work from the authors that brought you Professional No-Limit Hold’em. Not content to sit on their laurels – including a six week run at #1 on Amazon’s poker and gambling bestseller list – the boys have teamed up again to offer you the best poker e-book value available anywhere.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What Is An E-Book?
- Why An E-Book?
- How Do I Read An E-Book?
- What Devices Can I Read The Book On?
- What Topics Does Small Stakes No-Limit Hold’em Cover?
- Can I Read An Excerpt?
- What Is The Price?
- How Do I Buy The Book?
- When Will The Book Be Available?
- What Is In The Table Of Contents?
- Cash Games Or Tournaments?
- Online Or Live Play?
- Full-Ring Games Or Short-Handed Play?
- How Long Is The Book?
- Can I Print The Book?
- Can I Read The Book On Multiple Computers Or Devices?
- Will There Ever Be A Paper Edition?
- Do I Need To Read Professional No-Limit Hold’em Before This Book?
- Can I Talk To The Authors About The Book?
What Is An E-Book?
An e-book is a book that is distributed in an electronic format such as a PDF file, a series of webpages, or in a format designed for e-reader devices such as PRC and EPUB.
Why An E-Book?
E-books are the hottest thing going today in poker training. They offer several advantages over traditional books:
- Take It Everywhere. E-reader devices are popping up everywhere. Many mobile phones these days can double as e-book readers. Keep the book on your phone and reference it any time you want.
- Instant Updating. Poker changes fast, and traditional books can become obsolete quickly. An e-book can be easily updated when necessary to stay cutting-edge.
- Instant Access. No waiting days for Amazon to ship your order. You start learning from an e-book immediately.
- Easy To Navigate. Trying to find the topic you want in a traditional book can waste a lot of time. It takes just seconds to run a search over an entire e-book.
- Direct From The Experts. Traditional publishing filters a book through a series of editors and publishers who don’t necessarily understand poker very well. What you are reading may not be at all what the authors intended! An e-book comes direct from the authors, so you know everything is just as it should be.
- And More. E-books are taking over the poker publishing industry. Don’t get left behind!
How Do I Read An E-Book?
You can read an e-book at your personal computer, much as you are reading this webpage right now. You can also read one on dedicated e-reader devices such as the Amazon Kindle or on multipurpose devices like smart phones.
What Devices Can I Read The Book On?
You should be able to read the book on any personal computer. We will try to support as many other devices as possible. As we confirm support for a device, we will list it below. If you don’t see your device listed below, do not panic! We may simply not have confirmed support yet. If you would like to read the e-book on a not-yet-supported device, please email email@example.com for advice.
- Any personal computer running Windows XP, Vista, 7, MacOS, or Linux (may require the most recent version of the free Adobe Reader software)
- Amazon Kindle
- Sony Reader
- iPhone, iTouch, and iPad
- Google Android phones
- Any device that can read e-books in the popular EPUB format
What Topics Does Small Stakes No-Limit Hold’em Cover?
The bulk of the book focuses on beating $1-$2 6-max online games. It’s a thorough, example-driven discussion of winning in this tough game. If you don’t play this particular game, you may be puzzled why we focus on it. Here’s our answer from the book:
This first part is focused on a quite specific topic: how to beat an online $1-$2 6-max no-limit game. Why did we choose to focus on this game? Indeed, why did we choose to focus so narrowly on any one game? And if you intend to play a game other than online $1-$2 6-max, how relevant will this book be to you?
Here are the short answers to these questions. This game provides an ideal platform to teach the most critical no-limit concepts. If you can learn to beat an online $1-$2 6-max no-limit game, then you can handily beat 99 percent of all no-limit games in the world. So this book is highly relevant to the vast majority of no-limit players, whether you play live games or online, shorthanded games, full-ring, or even heads-up. Learn these ideas, apply them to your game, and you will destroy the competition.
We then elaborate for another page or two. But the basic idea is that we’re teaching concepts that work in a wide range of no-limit games. We picked this particular game for our examples because we see it roughly as the toughest of the “small stakes” games. Most of your opponents will not be giving their money away, but you also (by and large) won’t have to engage in high-level metagame thinking against super-tough players. If you play in an easier small stakes game than the one we chose (including live full-ring games), then this book will more than prepare you to get the money.
The book also has a section with advanced topics and another section aimed at more beginning-level no-limit players.
Can I Read An Excerpt?
If you want to take Small Stakes No-Limit Hold’em for a test drive, we are offering for free download an excerpt chapter from the book. You can check out any of the three versions of the book to see how it will read on your device.
IMPORTANT: When downloading an excerpt, please choose the SAVE button in your browser, not Run or Open. Save the file to a directory on your computer that you can easily find. Doing so will help conserve our server resources and will allow you to read the excerpt whenever you want.
Download the PDF excerpt. This is the primary version of the e-book. You can read the PDF version on any computer running Windows, MacOS, or Linux. You may need to download the lastest version of the free Adobe Reader software to read it.
Download the PRC excerpt. This version will work on the Amazon Kindle and the various Mobipocket readers. To read the excerpt on your Kindle, please download the PRC file to your computer using your web browser, and then transfer the file to your Kindle using the USB cable.
Download the EPUB excerpt. This version will work on most e-reader devices including the iPhone, iTouch, iPad, Google Android phones, the Sony Reader, and many more. To read the excerpt on your iPhone, please install a free e-reader app called Stanza from the iTunes store. Then, in Stanza, select “Get Books” at the bottom, and “Downloads” at the top. Then hit the plus sign and type in the download URL (exactly as written including capitals) from the link above. This will download the excerpt directly to your phone.
What Is The Price?
The e-book is $29.95, and the paperback is $34.95. You can also buy all the e-book formats at once and/or the paperback as well for a small premium.
How Do I Buy The Book?
You buy the book right here from this website.
When Will The Book Be Available?
The book is available right now.
What Is In The Table Of Contents?
Here’s a sneak peek at the contents of Small Stakes No Limit Hold’em.
Part 1: Framework
- 64 Squares
- Showdown Equity And Steal Equity
- Using Equity To Make Decisions
- What Makes Stealing Likely To Succeed
Part 2: Beating Online $1-$2 6-Max Games
- Introduction: Why $1-$2 6-Max?
- Stealing Blinds And Playing Position
- Profiling Opponents And Using Stats
- Going For Value With Good Hands
- 3-Betting Light And The 3-Bet, 4-Bet, 5-Bet Game
- Isolating Bad Players
- Handling Opposing Aggression
- Specific Preflop Decisions
- Putting It Together
Part 3: 7 Easy Steps To No-Limit Success
- Step 1: Play Tight
- Step 2: Don’t Play Out Of Position
- Step 3: Don’t Overcommit In Small Pots
- Step 4: Big Pots For Big Hands
- Step 5: Pull The Trigger
- Step 6: Adjust To Your Opponents
- Step 7: Keep Your Head In The Game
Part 4: Beyond $1-$2 No-Limit
- Understanding Fixed Bet Sizes
- Planning Big Bluffs
- Overbetting The Flop
- Underbetting In Multiway Pots
- Balancing Your Lines
- Bankroll Requirements
Cash Games Or Tournaments?
This book is written with cash games in mind, and all of the example hands come from cash games. Having said that, the concepts and ideas in the book are often useful during the first portion of any no-limit tournament, and you can gain an edge up on your competitors by mastering this crucial stage.
We recommend the book for cash game players and as supplemental reading for tournament players.
Online Or Live Play?
The core of the book focuses on beating a $1-$2 6-max online game. Anyone who wants to play online is well-covered. Live play at small stakes is generally much easier than online play, so if you learn to beat an online game, you should absolutely destroy a live game. Even though we don’t specifically discuss many live game example hands, if you master the concepts in the book you will dominate any small stakes live game.
We recommend the book for both online and live players.
Full-Ring Games Or Short-Handed Play?
The core of the book focuses on a 6-max, short-handed game. Full-ring play is typically easier than short-handed, so full-ring players will be well-served to read and master this book.
We recommend the book for both full-ring and short-handed players.
How Long Is The Book?
Many e-books are short – fewer than 100 pages – and can leave you feeling ripped off. Small Stakes No-Limit Hold’em, on the other hand, is a full-length 300+ page book.
Can I Print The Book?
You will be able to print the book. If you are having trouble doing so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Can I Read The Book On Multiple Computers Or Devices?
Yes. If you have a computer at work, a computer at home, a laptop, and a portable e-book reader, you can buy one copy and install and read the book on all four devices. You may install the book on as many devices as you own or exclusively use, but you may not install the book on a device owned and used by someone else except for a single copy to a backup server.
Return To FAQ
Will There Ever Be A Paper Edition?
Yes, we now offer a paperback version of the book. Presently this version is available to US RESIDENTS ONLY, however once we get the international shipping sorted out we plan to offer it to non-US residents as well.
Return To FAQ
Do I Need To Read Professional No-Limit Hold’em Before This Book?
The new book is not a sequel or second volume to Professional No-Limit Hold’em. The new book is designed to be fully readable as a stand-alone book. But in it we do reference concepts like commitment, SPR, and the REM Process that we introduced in Professional No-Limit. We summarize these ideas in the new book to get everyone up to speed, but if you want a full, nuanced understanding we strongly recommend reading Professional No-Limit Hold’em at some point.
Can I Talk To The Authors About The Book?
Small Stakes No-Limit Hold’em is serious food for thought, so the authors have made themselves available on the forum to answer reader questions. There you can also talk to other readers about the book or poker in general.